Home Forums BlueROV and ArduSub Making a custom configuration

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jakkala kalvik 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

jakkala kalvik
    Participant

Hello, I want to create a new configuration for a rov I am planning on building but the Ardusub page has very vague instructions for that. Could someone please explain me in detail how to do this?

Profile photo of Jacob
    Jacob
    Participant

Jakkala,

I have updated the instructions on ardusub.com. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions about the updated instructions.

-Jacob

jakkala kalvik
    Participant

Awesome thanks but I have a few questions.

• Do positive values make the motors suck water from the back and push it out the nose and negative values do the opposite?
    • For ROV1’s throttle factor why are 3 and 4 set to 0.45 instead of 5?
    • For roll factor are we defining how to roll to the right, pitch nose up, yaw turn right, throttle go up and lateral move right?
    • If positive values make it go up (throttle factor) for theĀ AS_MOTORS_VECTORED_6DOF_FRAME why are all the values set to negative values?Same for forward and lateral is it a typo or did I get it all wrong?
    Profile photo of Jacob
    Jacob
    Participant

Positive and negative mean that the motor will spin one way or the other, respectively. The 0.45 just worked out better experimentally due to a lot of factors like uneven drag and throttle curves.

jakkala kalvik
    Participant

So, when you say one way does it mean if 2 motors have a positive value but if they have counter rotating props and if i configure one of them in opposite direction in ardusub they both will push or pull in the same direction right?

Profile photo of Jacob
    Jacob
    Participant

My last response may have been unclear, and somewhat incorrect. Imagine that every single motor is pulling water in through the front of the motor and pushing water out of the rear of the motor, then assign values according to the resulting force components that each motor produces.

The direction of the prop and the actual direction of rotation of the motor has no bearing here. Just the direction that water is moving. If you have two motors facing the same forward direction (Motors 1 and 2 on BROV1 for example) they should both have the same sign for the forward factor, because they both move the vehicle forward when they move water in the same direction. This can be accomplished with or without counter rotating props (but they should be counter rotating), and you may have to change the actual rotation of the motors with the MOTX_DIRECTION parameters so that everything is spinning the right direction in the end.

-Jacob

jakkala kalvik
    Participant

Thank-you that was very helpful.

The forum ‘BlueROV and ArduSub’ is closed to new topics and replies.